Sunday, May 15, 2011

Learning our ABC's

My 4 year old doesn't know her abc's yet...there I said it!

I mean, she can sing the song...she can spell her name...even write her name!

But...she doesn't know the letters by sight or tell you what they sound like.

I know I know...I am mother of the year, just say it.

So I decided to do something about it.  Not that  I was worried or anything.  I mean, she is a kid still!  She doesn't even start preschool until the fall and I know that is what they work on there.  

But I still thought I should be working harder on getting the basics down with her.

I found some cute letters online and printed them out.  Nothing fancy, just hit print on some regular 'ol paper and cut them out.  Then I taped them around the house. 





I had a few helpers so they ended up in some random spots around the house too!





Now randomly throughout the day she will stop and say the letter and sometimes the sound.  If she doesn't do it then I point it out to her and ask her what it is.  

She is slowly learning.

The funny thing is that now the 2 year old is learning too!

What techniques or methods do YOU use to help create learning at home?


Photobucket

3 comments:

Maria said...

Great idea Heidi!! If she likes the computer try www.starfall.com it really helped Marcus with his letter sounds. (and don't beat yourself up - Marcus is nearly 5 and can't write his name - he hates to color and write). This blog is adorable by the way!!

jenorme said...

Love this blog! Your idea is perfect and will work in not time. Taylor could not get her letters down along time ago and her teacher recommended "The Letter Factory" movie by Leapfrog. It worked miracles for my kids. I have it if you want to borrow it.

Jen said...

I love it! That is such a great idea! It creates teaching opportunities throughout the day and only takes a second! Thanks for the tip!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...