Monday, February 13, 2012

Super Soft Sugar Cookies...

Well we are all back from our AMAZING sisters trip this weekend.  We had a blast and of course will dedicate a whole post to the fun times we had.  But for today, I wanted to share a yummy sugar cookie recipe. 

My husband and I aren't big on the whole Valentines Day.  We never do anything extravagant.  It usually involves dinner and a movie, but last year we just made a really nice dinner at home and celebrated as a family.  Can't beat that right? 

We also don't go out and buy gifts for each other (well I don't at least).  Instead I like to make yummy treats for my hubby that he LOVES.  Since I don't bake very often this is quite the treat for him and better than any little gift I could get him:)

Anyways today I am sharing my neighbors sugar cookie recipe.  Every year either at Christmas or Valentines Day she would make these cookies for me.  These were the type of cookies that I hid from everyone so I could indulge in them all to myself.  One year I finally asked her for the recipe and being the great neighbor that she was, she gave it to me. 

I promise you that these are the softest cookies you will ever make.  And if I can make them than anyone can make them. 

So without further adieu here is a great sugar cookie recipe that will impress anyone, especially that special someone in your life. 

Ingredients:

1 cup butter  (softened)
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream (or Vanilla yogurt)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. soda
4 tsp. baking powder
4 1/2- 5 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
Directions:
Cream together butter & sugar.
Add eggs, sour cream, and vanilla, mix well.
Then add soda, baking powder, salt, & flour.
Mix well and refrigerate 3 hours.
Pull out of fridge and roll them out and cut into shapes.
Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.
(An important note:  When I first made these I was worried about adding too much flour.  But you need to make sure that your dough is NOT sticky at all.  Any stickiness will result in your counter top being covered with sticky dough.  Just trust me.  I add more flour til the dough is not sticky or just slightly sticky.  And I like to roll the dough and leave it thicker.  I LOVE soft, thick sugar cookies so I roll them out thick.  This is a total preference issue though.  But be mindful that the thicker the dough the longer you cook (8-10 minutes).  The thinner  it is then bake less than 8 minutes.  Trust me when I say that you want these cookies soft. 

Frosting:
1 cube soften butter
almond extract (capful)
vanilla (capful)
1 1/2- 2 1/2 cups powder sugar
milk ---a little splash or two will do. 
Directions:

Mix butter and almond and vanilla extract together.  Add powered sugar a little at a time.  I usually add 1 cup and then slowly keep adding it til it gets to the consistency and taste I like.  But roughly anywhere from 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 cups will do.  I then add a splash of milk to smooth it out.  And of course in honor of Valentines Day I like to add a little red food coloring. 


Enjoy these delicious cookies.  They will complete your Valentines Day but I will warn you that they are hard to resist so plan on gaining a few pounds.  But they are worth every pound:)



 
Pin It
Photobucket

1 comment:

Sandie said...

MMmmmm sugar cookies are my favorite.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...