Thursday, March 1, 2012

An Ocean of Possibilities!

When I was a kid, there were certain books that I would check out over and over again from the library.   Even as I got into 5thgrade, I'd slyly check out McElligot’s Pool by Dr. Seuss and try to hide it under a ‘big’ book so that no one would see it and laugh at me.

I LOVED this book!  The pictures in it were the greatest and sparked the fires of my imagination.  I loved the eskimo fish, the beautiful feathery fish, the swordfish, the hot puffer fish, the whale fish...and on and on.  To me, this story proved that anything was possible…if you just believed.   

That little boy sitting by the fishing hole was filled with faith that he could catch something big, even when the old man tried to discourage him.    

My favorite picture is near the end.  It shows the fishing hole connected to a tiny underground tunnel that goes miles under cities and towns until it reaches the ocean.   The little boy's line and hook have traveled all the way out there and ALL the fish in the ocean are surrounding it and pointing to it.

I think life is like that.

Sometimes our life might seem mundane and unassuming...kind of like the boy's fishing hole.  We might think we don't make a difference in the whole realm of things...or think our contributions in life are kind of insignificant compared to the ocean of possibilities we see in others.  And I'll let you in on a truth...ON OUR OWN, we are like that small piece of nothing fishing hole.

But if we make the connection with God...then He can bring a whole ocean of possibilities to us.   What that boy imagined is a reality with God.  I LOVE kids books.

Life is exciting with this image in mind.  When I believe in God and allow Him to direct my life, then unthinkable possibilities can come to me if I just take hold of my fishing rod and cast out in faith, believing that God will bring me so many fish I don't know what to do with them all—just like Peter.

If you haven't read McElligot's Pool by Dr. Seuss, borrow it from your library or buy your own copy to read over and over again.  The pictures are magical...and the story is priceless.   C. S. Lewis said,

“A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.”


I think this book is timeless.   I was a little embarrassed to read it as an older elementary student...but now as an adult, I'm proud to shout:   I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!  I hope you do too!


Pin It
Photobucket

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow I have never even heard of this book...now I must go check it out from the library and give it a read!! I always love your thought provoking posts!! Wonderful!!

tiffunny said...

heard of it, but it wasn't one i ever read over and over. i should reread it. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your correlation to life and your quote by C.S. Lewis. You are amazing at always having things to post about. I need your inspiration to rub off on me, so i can contribute more. I am drawing a complete blank and have been working all week on trying to come up with ideas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...