Saturday, July 16, 2011

Keeping Celery Fresh

Have you ever bought a bunch of celery at the store
just to find that it is all bendy and soft after just a day or two?
Who wants to eat bendy celery?
I for one prefer mine crisp!

Here is a tip to help yours stay fresh & crisp in your fridge for up to 3 weeks!

Start by cutting off the end and separating all the stalks, throwing away any parts you don't want

Next, wash it under cold water real good using your fingers to scrape off any junk

Lay it on a paper towel and roll it up

Then dampen the roll with cold water

Next, lay your damp celery roll on a sheet of foil

Give it a good roll again until it is nice and tight, like a homemade burrito!
Seal the ends closed and you are done!
Now label and stick in your crisper drawer and enjoy at your leisure!

What do you like to do with your celery?  
Eat it raw with a yummy dip?
If so, what dip is your favorite?


Photobucket

11 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fabulous idea! Thanks Heidi! I usually eat my celery raw with ranch, but my kids like it with peanut butter. Yum!

Etcetorize said...

I'm definitely going to try this. My celery never lasts and it just gets thrown out. Thanks~

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am SO gonna try this. Thanks so much for the tip :)

annies home said...

eat it with pimento cream cheese dip
shopannies@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I usually put classic cheese whiz or cream cheese on mine!

EasyWayFinder said...

Thanks for posting... EasyWayFinder

susan q said...

Thanks for this money saving tip for keeping celery fresh. I go a little farther by adding a moist paper towel as my celery dried out somewhat. Thanks again and keep the tips coming:)

Unknown said...

My husband (who is a type 2 diabetic) eats raw celery all the time as a snack. When I bring it home from the store, I trim it and cut it into stalks. I have a couple of wide mouth, straight sided, short vases. I stand the trimmed celery up straight in the vases, add water about half way up and keep on the fridge shelf. It stays fresh and crisp for at least a week, but he usually eats it all in less time than that. I chop and freeze the tops and leaves to use in soups, etc.

Unknown said...

Plant the big end piece(the root)!!!๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Barb Karr said...

I found this trick a few months back and thought that I should let you know how great this idea is. Since reading I had gotten celery twice and never threw anything away. Before I was constantly pitching bad celery. The first time I even forgot it was there. Opened up to perfect celery. Thanks a million!I hate throwing food away. Barb

Unknown said...

Hi I saw your article on another site. All we do is wrap the whole pak in foil and store in the fridge on a shelf. It is good for 6 weeks in our fridge.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...