Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Lego Table

I have 2 boys, ages 9 & 7.
They used to really LOVE trains.
So we of course had a train table and all the millions of expensive, over-priced Thomas the Train stuff!
Well, once they got to a certain age, 5 or 6, they were no longer using their trains and the train table was no longer needed.  
I hated to just give something like that away!
BUT, it was taking up valuable space and becoming an eye sore (meaning the kids would stash  toys on top of it in their efforts to clean up).
I was basically to the point where I was going to either list it on Craigslist or haul it down to the Deseret Industries.
Then I saw this post at Deal Seeking Mom and I knew that  it was what our "train" table was destined to become!
A Lego Table

Here is how we did it...
I measured the table, then went to Toys R Us and bought the flat Lego pieces to fit on top.  They were kinda pricier than I was hoping, just giving you a heads up!
For our table, which we bought at Costco years ago, I think it cost me $75 in flat Lego pieces (and that was during a Buy 1 Get 1 Half Off sale at TRU).

My husband just went to town screwing them down into the table.  *Of course you could always hot glue it down also if you didn't want to mess with screws & tools.  The one trick you need to remember would be this...
have a lego handy that you use to measure the space in between each flat piece.  For example, put a lego on top of the flat piece, right where 2 big flat pieces will be meeting up, so you know how far apart to space the big flat pieces and still be able to build the legos on top!
I hope that makes sense!!

We decided to cover the whole top with flat Lego pieces but you could really just do half and then do something more creative.  
Our boys LOVE it!  Most days it looks like this though...
Messy.
But played with and loved. 
That is all that matters in my book!

Here is a version that Tenille did.
She bought a cheap end table from Ikea (I think for like $15)
then covered it with a few flat pieces
and voila!!


Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!
Isn't repurposing things so fun!!

Don't forget to enter our GIVEAWAY!!!

Photobucket

13 comments:

LaRaine said...

What a smart idea. How come they didn't have Mom's like you when my kids were little. Thanks for sharing. Love you guys.

Charissa said...

I love this idea.

Vicki Johnson said...

Thank you for all of your ideas. I love this lego table.

Anonymous said...

Such a cute idea! I would love it if you'd stop by and link this to my Thrifty Thursday link party. I know my readers would love that lego table just as much as I do :) thriftyandfabuless.blogspot.com Hope to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Wow, great idea and you saved a ton of money.

Lolly Jane said...

So fun! Bet the kiddo's are loving this :)
Hope you will show this off @ our weekend linky party going on! Happy Sunday!

:)Kristi & Kelli
http://lollyjaneboutique.blogspot.com/

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

Sniff. Sniff. My boys are just entering train table age...and I know that the lego phase follows shortly after...

Great idea! I will be sharing it on Pinterest...

If you have a moment today, please share this with my readers @Creative Juice Thursday Hope to see you there!

Camille said...

This is such a good idea! My little boy is only 2 so he is not into Lego's quite yet, but I have heard how expensive they are!! I am pinning this for future reference! :) Thank you so much for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday! We are so grateful for your support and we hope that you will be back tomorrow to share more great ideas!
Camille @
SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

how fun, i bet they just LOVE it:)

Faith Abigail Designs said...

Me again! What a fantastic idea! I love that the first table has storage drawers underneath.

Unknown said...

yes ! that is great !my sons room (12 yrs old ) is full of legos all over the place !!!
KAT Griffin

The Robinsons said...

We are planning on doing this with the "small" train table my mom got for my son last year. It's not big enough to do nice tracks with so we are going to build a bigger one out of an old coffee table. But I didn't just want to throw out this nice table! Now, here's my question for you - did you have to cut down any of the pieces to make them fit the table? If so, how did you do it? I would hate to try and cut them and waste money if I ruin them. My other option would be to center them and cover the "edges' with blue paper or something for water...hhhhmmmmm :D Thanks for posting all your creativity!

Deert said...

So we of course had a train table and all the millions of expensive, ... ilegotable.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...