Thursday, February 23, 2012

Chicken Toes

A recipe that my whole family loves is one from Rachael Ray called Chicken Toes.  These are just glorified chicken nuggets but they are actually tasty and composed of real chicken rather than whatever that is you can buy at a restaurant or at the store.  My kids ask for these all the time.  Throw these on the table with a spinach smoothie as a drink and you almost have a healthy meal.

Chicken Toes
In a shallow dish, mix together:
1 cup corn flakes, crushed
1 cup plain bread crumbs
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp ground allspice

Drizzle about 3 tbsp vegetable oil evenly over breading, tossing and turning to mix oil through mixture.  Cut chicken into 2 inch pieces.  Turn chicken in 1/3 cup flour, 2 beaten eggs, and then in breading.  Arrange toes on nonstick baking sheet.  Bake at 375 F for 15 min. till crisp and brown all over.

Dipping sauce idea:
1 cup salsa
1/2 cup sour cream

Now for the deets:  I always use panko bread crumbs instead of plain bread crumbs.  If you haven't tried panko before, they're a real treat and they add a nice crunch to your breading.  The allspice is the secret ingredient.  Don't leave it out - it makes these taste so yummy and refined.

Instead of vegetable oil, I use olive oil (not really for health reasons but because I bought a huge jug of it at Sam's and it's closer to my stove than the vegetable oil is.

Also, if you make these by yourself, plan on it taking some time and making your fingers a disastrous mess.  Assembly line style is the only way to go.  I always have one kid on flour duty, one on egg, and me on the breading.  It goes so much faster this way and makes so much less mess.

It can be done solo but it is a pain and I don't enjoy suffering by myself.  And the 15 minutes makes these perfect every time.  At least in my oven.  Just be warned that once you start making these, the kids will ask for these repeatedly.  I do feel way better about serving these up than those overprocessed bits and pieces of something or other you get at the store.  Enjoy!





Pin It
Photobucket

3 comments:

Charissa said...

I like this recipe already. It looks easy and fast enough for moi! I'll have to try Panko. I keep hearing all these things about it but have never tried it.

Heidi said...

Love Panko!! And these look delish! Especially if I can get the assembly line system going!!

tiffunny said...

Looks like a fun recipe and the kids would love doing an assembly line. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...