Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Adding color...

I have to admit that when it comes to decorating I am very, very traditional.  I don't do anything crazy, funky or out there.  I stick with very simple and basic.  And I tend to stick to certain colors, ie  RED and BLACK or very neutral colors.  (Yes RED and BLACK were my wedding colors).

Please ignore the stuff coming out of the vase...I bought it with hopes to do something cute with it and just stuck it in the vase and yes sadly I haven't gotten around to figuring out what to do with it...One day I keep telling myself:)


Lately on the blogosphere I have noticed people adding color to their decor.  I have found most of them to be cute but just didn't see how some COLOR would fit into my decor. 

And then it happened.  I was shopping at Dollar General and came upon the summer aisle.  I noticed some really cute vases for $2.50 and sat and debated whether or not to get one.  They came in a springy blue and a pale yellow.  I decided to grab the blue (probably TURQUOISE would describe this color better) vase.  My intentions were to take it home, use some of my spray paint (can you guess what colors I had ;) and repaint it a new color that would match my decor.

Once I get home I hurried and emptied my bags and without really thinking placed the vase on my cute Ikea knockoff shelf so my 3 year old couldn't reach it.  Then I went about my business of taking care of the kiddos.  Later in the day after the house mellowed down a little I walk by the vase and notice how adorable it looks all perched up there on its little shelf.  I love the POP of color it brings to the shelf.  Never in a million years would I have thought I would use an accent color of TURQUOISE to go along with my red and black decor but I tell you I.am.in.LOVE.  In fact it was love at first sight.  After seeing the cute POP it gave to the room I am excited about adding some more POP to other areas of the house.


















So I guess the whole point of this post is to say to you all....Take a risk and buy a funky color and use it as an accent in your home.  And of course don't spend lots of moo-lah on this.  Do what I did and buy a cheapie product to see if you like it.  Or better yet take some of your decor you already have and try painting it a funky color.  Be rebellious and add some COLOR to your life.  You won't regret it.
I would love to hear or see any of your successes of adding color to your decor and what colors you used.    



Photobucket

7 comments:

utahmobilehomes.net said...

Your such a Rebel!!! Love it and love the random Ikea twigs just hangin out;) I need to get a POP of color in my neutral house now

Sandie said...

I love your pop of color. I MADE my sister do that in her new house, and she too chose turquoise blue. It looks gorgeous. I hope you enjoy it as much as she has.

Anonymous said...

My aunt made our family those cute square blocks and modgepodged all of our pictures and then came up with a catchy family phrase and had cute ribbons. Makes me more excited to have my own family so I can do these type of crafty things without GUILT!

iwalkalongtheroad.blogspot.com

The Little Red Plate said...

I most definitely need this blog in my life--so glad to have found you via Freestyle Friday/Happy Hour! :)

I love your pop of color and am glad you are getting out of your initial comfort zone and leaving it--it looks perfect there!

Nissa

Anonymous said...

I love it! I definitely could use a little more color in my home decor. BTW I love red and black too!

Sara said...

This one is great too!! You are welcome to link them both up!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/09/turquoise-lovin-6.html

Blogger said...

There is a chance you are eligible to get a $200 IKEA Gift Card.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...