Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Guacamole

Guacamole Recipe:

3 avocados-  very soft to the touch
1-2 limes juiced
2 tomatoes diced small
1/4 of an onion
1/2- whole bunch of cilantro
salt and pepper


Cut avocado up and mash with a fork (you will have some chunks but that it alright).  Dice up tomatoes into small pieces and add to avocados.  Dice the onion up very small and add to avocados and tomatoes.  Chop up cilantro and add to bowl.  Half limes and squeeze into mixture.  Stir mixture up and then add salt and pepper to taste. 


A few weeks ago we went to my sister in laws house to celebrate our nieces 2nd birthday and her husbands birthday.  They fed us all a yummy authentic taco dinner.  My brother in law had made some guacamole that was to die for.  I think I ate most of it that night.  What can I say I am a sucker for a good guacamole.  I asked for the recipe and was just given the ingredients since they had just made it on a whim (don't you hate when they don't know the measurements).  So I left that night determined to figure out this recipe.  So I went to the store and bought the ingredients. 

With the avocados you want to make sure they are soft to the touch.  You need to find the perfect balance.  They can't be hard but you don't want them too squishy.  Find the middle ground.  But I always lean towards more squishy than less squishy. 


The 1st step is to cut the avocado in half and take the pit out.

The way I like to cut my avocados is to half them and then I cut them horizontally and then vertically.  Essentially you cut a checkerboard.  I then just take a spoon and spoon it out and it makes it easier to mash up when they are in smaller pieces. 


I then cut up my tomatoes, onions and cilantro really small.  Remember you can add more or less of all of these items.  I would add more cilantro but my husband isn't a fan but since I love it I just do a small amount.  I know the sacrifices I make for love:)  
I then half the limes and squeeze the juice into the mixture.  I usually squeeze a whole lime and then stir the mixture up and then decide if I need more.  I think this time I used only 1 1/2 limes.  I then add salt and pepper a little at a time until I get it just right.  I usually add a little, taste it and add some more and usually do this a few more times until it tastes the way I like. 



And here is the finished product.  Yes I even added a chip that was devoured immediately after the picture was taken.  So far it has been a hit with the family.  The key of course is getting those avocados ripe.  If you get bad or sub par avocados this dip just won't taste right. 

But I promise this will be a hit and will be gone shortly after making it.  Enjoy:)

Photobucket

15 comments:

Charissa said...

Oh, my goodness, that picture looks delicious! I have to try this!

W Hansen said...

I love to add a little cumin to mine.

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

This looks SO yummy!!

Jessa Smith said...

Yum! I love guacamole! The version I make is much more unhealthy! I'll have to give yours a try!

~Jessa
www.jessajill.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Yum! Love guacamole, but never made it with cilantro, which I love. Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

Michelle said...

Love fresh guacamole in the summer!

Sara said...

I have recently started eating guacamole. I never could get past the way it looked. The Mexican restaurant we eat at very often has the best! Theirs must have jalapeno peppers in it. So good! I think I will try this and add the peppers, too! Thanks for sharing :)

Lindsay said...

I LOVE guacamole, so this looks awesome! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

And thanks for linking up at Show & Share!

Unknown said...

I'm OBSESSED with guacamole! i make it the same way you do, except with tons of garlic salt! yummy!

Brit said...

I love homemade guacamole! This looks great, and what an awesome tip on cutting the avocado, I usually make a huge mess of that part! Thanks for sharing.
Britney
www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

Rose and Heather said...

mmmm, Yum, I can't wate to try it. Thanks for linking up at Crafty Lassie Tuseday. Hope to see you next week.
Rose and Heather

mzzbev said...

Yum, yum, yum. Mi favorita!! I'm smacking my lips and now am in the mood for some guacamole. That looks SOOO good, thanks for sharing. Visiting from Tempt my Tummy Tuesday :)

Marie said...

I love me some good guac! Thanks again for linking with us at Show & Share!

Marie
mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

That looks amazing! If i had avocados here I would make it right now.

I am a new follower from the Tuesday Time Out Hop. If you have a moment, come by www.messforless.net and say hi!
Thanks!

Just Jaime said...

Yum! I love guacamole!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...