Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Homemade Tortillas

In honor of Cinco de Mayo, which is on Saturday, we decided we would share a yummy homemade tortilla recipe with you.  We promise you won't be able to buy tortillas again at the store once you try these babies:)
But before I go any further I must give credit where credit is due.  This is actually an Andrea recipe.  So when you are enjoying these bad boys you can thank her:)

Besides tasting great, these tortillas are super easy to make. 

Ingredients:
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
4 tsp Crisco (or 1 1/3 tbsp if you are using the cubes)
1- 1 1/2 cup warm water


Mix flour, baking powder, salt and Crisco with pastry blender (which I frankly don't know what that is but a FORK works just the same).  Make sure that the Crisco is thoroughly combined.  Add warm water to mixture (approx 1 1/2 cups).  Use hands to mix until dough is barely sticky, but not too dry.  Make into round balls (golf ball size...well I do mine a little bigger than golf ball size).  Let sit in a bowl covered for 10 minutes.  Roll tortillas and cook on cast iron skillet or in a frying pan. 

Here are a few pictures I managed to take of the process (and sorry these are just cell phone pictures)
I can't remember how many I ended up getting but I think I got around 20 or so.

When I roll mine out I will roll it a few times and then flip it and roll it again and repeat this.  The longer you roll the bigger the tortilla will become.  And if you can teach me how to roll a circle I would love to learn.  But I do like seeing the different shapes I can make:)  And you don't need to flour your cupboard to roll these out. 


And here it is cooking.  I usually set my stove top to to medium and let it cook for about 30 seconds and check it and decide if it needs more time or not.  Then flip and repeat.


So this weekend when you are making a yummy Cinco de Mayo dinner, try these tortillas out and I promise you will be the hit of the party. 

Photobucket

1 comment:

tiffunny said...

wow - even you make homemade tortillas. You're becoming a little Andrea junior in the kitchen!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...