Monday, January 23, 2012

Bread Sticks



OK, I admit it... I love bread in any form.  Sure the health food people these days will tell us that it's not good for us but my philosophy is that if it's mentioned in the Bible, then it's on the list of things that are good.  Let's see, should I side with the health food opinions of the day which change on a weekly basis or should I go with the fact that Jesus was willing to call Himself the Bread of Life?  I'll go with Jesus on this one.  Sacrilege and blasphemy aside, here is a recipe I got from my beloved sister Heidi that my family loves and that we eat almost as often as we read the scriptures.

Bread Sticks
1 tbsp yeast
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 c warm water
1/2 tsp salt
Mix, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes.  Add 3 1/2 c flour, knead for 3 min. and set aside covered until it is double in size.  Roll out onto a greased cookie sheet.

1/4 c melted butter
1/4 c parmesan cheese
1/4 c mayo
1/4 c mozzarella cheese
garlic salt
parsley
Mix together and spread on rolled out dough.  Slice and bake at 350 F for 18 minutes.

I love this recipe because you can whip it up relatively quickly when you just feel like your meal is going to need a little somethin', somethin'.  I only wish that the recipe called for a specific amount of garlic salt.  Sometimes I get it too light because you don't want to make the mistake of getting it too heavy, if you get my drift.  You can't mess up the parsley, it's just there for the aesthetics, but the salt can ruin a good breadstick.  I just give several good shakes of the bottle, give it a mix and a little finger taste test to make sure I'm in the ballpark.

A few pictures to get you more interested:
First mix your dough together.  I am old fashioned and just use my trusty wooden spoon.  It works just fine and doesn't dirty 17 different little gadgets and gizmos that need to be taken apart with a fine tooth comb and washed by hand (or you might could say that I'm lazy and don't want to take the time to drag the machine out, plug it in, and have dishes that need handwashing when my trusty wooden spoon is just right there).  This particular batch of dough is not pretty, but it's okay.  Jesus said that it's what's inside that matters, after all.
 After it has doubled in size, grease your cookie sheet, plop the dough on the pan, and roll it out.  This is why it doesn't matter what it looks like after the first step because you're just going to smush it flat.
 Mix your topping ingredients together and spread on top of the rolled out dough.  I usually just do this with the spoon I used to mix it together with.

 Don't forget to slice it after you've put on the spread.  Much easier to do this before you bake then it will be after, trust me. 
 I usually cut it into 8-9 across, and then 3 rows, as shown below. 
  Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the final product.  They disappeared too rapidly.  Hope you enjoy!

Pin It
Photobucket

9 comments:

Simply Tasheena said...

This looks so yummy!

~Mrs. Delightful
ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Charissa said...

Yum! I agree with you on bread! LOVE it! I can resist ice cream and even chocolate (if it was between life and death), but I don't think I ever could give up breads (they're my favorite)

Marcy said...

I love this recipe too--I cut it with a pizza slicer though...super fast and easy. What a great recipe to post. Who ever tries it will absolutely LOVE it!!

Andrea said...

Pizza slicer - I never thought of that. Thanks for the tip!

Bethany said...

I made this tonight and it is delicious. Great tip to cut before cooking.

Kimberly T. said...

Yum and yum! I never thought of rolling the dough out in the pan. Great idea!

Six Sisters said...

These look so delicious!! Perfect for a party because it makes so many!! YEA! Thanks so much for joining us on "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We loved having you and hope to see you back next Saturday with more great recipes! -The Sisters

MissMolly said...

These were so delicious. I made them with dinner last night, they were easy to make and I will be making them again for sure!

miracleshappen1231 said...

I have used this recipe, its awesome and works in the bread machine, the best

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...