Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cousin Blocks

My husband and I come from big families.
Which makes for alot of cousins for my little son.
The only problem is that we don't get to see all of them since we are scattered in different places.
However, when we do get to see them I want my son to know who his cousins are.
So I decided it would be fun to make him some cousin blocks.


All you need to do is get some wood blocks. I made mine 1.5 x1.5 because Ty has over 40 cousins.
But if you don't have that many you can always make them bigger blocks.
I then painted them or you can just paint the edges which I should have done since I ended up covering the whole thing anyway;)
Next, I cut out different pieces of scrapbook paper to decorate some of the sides. For my blocks I used two different patterns for the girls and different ones for the boys. I printed off each of the cousins pictures and then printed off a paper with their name on it plus to help him learn his ABC's I made the first letter of their name behind it. (Sorry I don't have a professional camera so it's hard to tell how they really look. I will say they are cuter in person)
After you have all the pieces cut out, you simply Mod Podge them on. Let it dry and then you sand each edge so its smooth. I also ruffed my edges up a little so it looked distressed.
I then Modpodged it all over again to help seal it.

I loved how they turned out and my son loves to play with them!:)

I did make some extra blocks for future cousin arrivals. And you can always easily update your blocks by putting a newer updated picture right on top of the other.
They also fit perfect in his toy pail and add to the decor:)

Pin It

23 comments:

Simply Tasheena said...

I love this idea, Thanks for sharing!

~Mrs. Delightful
ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Heidi said...

So so cute!! I love the idea that he can play with them yet at the same time he is becoming familiar with their faces and eventually names. Perfect idea!! I need to do this too!

Charissa said...

Very cute! I think I need to do this for my husband, because he gave up trying to learn niece and nephew names after about 10 of them and now just calls them "Hey you."

gubler5 said...

I think you should make a set for your Mom to use as decoration.

Dwell on Joy said...

Love this idea as my kids cousins are all over the country! Great gift idea for the future! Thanks!

Tenille said...

Didn't I give you some pictures of my kids? These turned out cute. I will have to check them out next time I am at your house.

Tamie said...

Charissa, I can't stop laughing. You crack me up!

How the Sun Rose said...

Clever! My children also live far from their cousins, although they do not number 40! We will enjoy our new blocks with family photos.

tiffunny said...

so cute Liesl!

Whitney said...

This is a awesome idea!!! We moved when my son was 6mths and now that he is almost 2, and is slightly shy when visiting family. THANKS for sharing,I may have to try this to ease his stranger anxiety.


http://buddymunkadoo.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

This is a brilliant idea! We don't have so very many cousins in our family but it could be done with the adults pictures too. What a great way to create familiarity with far away kin!

Anonymous said...

What a clever idea. And then you also have way of learning the alphabet. Very creative!

Betsy Pool said...

This is such a great learning activity!! Over 40 cousins - wow!!

I love that you put letter on the blocks as well - good thinking! Thanks for sharing this on the Take it on Tuesday blog hop. I'm pinning this for future reference.

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

This is such a fabulous idea! That IS a lot of cousins to remember! I am so glad that you shared this at our link party! I hope you will join us again next week!

Jill said...

I can't wait to make these! Thanks for sharing smiles, Jill

Unknown said...

What a fun idea! I love that it can teach their names as well as letters! I will be featuring this tomorrow on A Little Tipsy.

Kei said...

That is such a cute idea! Must be hard to keep track of so many cousins (I am so glad I only have four of them haha). Looks like your son enjoys the blocks!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Wowzers that is a lot of cousins!! Fun way to keep track of family across the miles!!

The Clegg Family said...

-visiting from Strut your Stuff Saturdays-
What a cute idea!

Crafty Mischief said...

This is pretty much the cutest idea ever! Thanks for sharing!

Betsy Pool said...

I'm going to be featuring this tomorrow on Take it on Tuesday. Thanks for linking up!

Anonymous said...

Love it! Someone without so many cousins could just do family blocks. An early childhood classroom could make class blocks!

Unknown said...

Did you actually print the pictures on photo paper or card stock?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...