Friday, January 13, 2012

Spinach Smoothie for ME and my BABY!!

I LOVE me a spinach smoothie in the morning (don't knock it till you try it)!  I know that it sounds yucky but it is delicious and so super healthy at the same time--that is a hard combo to find!  Plus, I feel like it gives me an added boost of energy and nutrition--and with the new year upon us...who couldn't use a little more of that RIGHT??  

Anyway, the other day I was finishing up with my morning smoothie and decided to share the last little bit with my 8 month old who just couldn't get enough of it.  That is when I had this thought...'If blueberries are super good for me and provide me with added antioxidants, extra brain health, and among a ton of other things, helps with digestion why haven't I been giving this to my baby all along??  Also, if I throw in some spinach which is also full of antioxidants, is an anti-inflammatory, helps boost the immune system and is just an all around nutritious veggie--the benefits for my baby would be huge!!  I am all about trying to keep my baby healthy and strong so I decided while making my morning smoothie I would just change it up a bit and mix one up for my little guy as well.  Here is the recipe that I use when making my smoothie-- for those of you who are a little skeptical out there all I have to say is...JUST GIVE IT A TRY!!
Spinach/Blueberry BOOST Smoothie  (270 calories)

1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
1/2 container Yoplait Light Blueberry yogurt
1 cup baby spinach leaves
1/2 fresh banana
1/2 cup organic vanilla soy milk (you of course don't have to use soy milk--it is just what I prefer)
I add all the fruit then half of the milk.  Then I add the yogurt and spinach and top it off with the remaining milk--blend together and WALLAH!!

Now onto the baby version--I decided that I needed to tweak my original version for my little man so I just added the other half of banana to 1/3 cup blueberries and a handful of spinach.  I added a little bit of water in order to get it mixed well and this is what I got--
I added two spoonfuls of the smoothie mixture to some baby oatmeal and water for his breakfast.  I put the extra portion of his smoothie into the cute star ice cube tray you see below.  That way I can use it for the next week or so (gotta love pre-made meals)!! 
I love that I know exactly what is in the food that I am feeding my little guy and that I am doing my best to keep him as healthy and strong as I possibly can.  Oh yeah, I also love that he LOVES it as well. That is a definite PLUS!! 
I hope you all ENJOY it!!  We sure have!!!
Pin It
Photobucket

5 comments:

Simply Tasheena said...

I love green smoothies, Thanks for sharing!

~Mrs. Delightful
ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Charissa said...

I love these too! Who would have thought green could be so good?

Unknown said...

Yep, I love them too! I have one pretty much everyday and my kids love them as well. I'm always adding whatever random fruits that I have. So good!! Sometimes I add a little agave nectar to sweeten it up or peanut butter or protein powder (if I'm not sharing with my kids). Thanks for sharing!

Heidi said...

We love our smoothies every day too! The kids love 'em...except Allie! =)

Six Sisters said...

So delicious and the kids will eat it! Thanks for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday. We hope you come back and share more of your ideas. -The Sisters

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...