Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Never Ending Project

Have you ever started a project that feels like it is NEVER.GOING.TO.END????

Welcome to my world...
let's go back 3 weeks ago.  My 4 year old daughter decided to turn the bathroom sink on full blast, push the stopper down and then LEAVE the bathroom, closing the door behind her.  This probably stayed this way for close to an HOUR!  Gotta love kids!  Don't worry...she is still alive and well!  =) 

After the damage was surveyed and cleaned up we decided to just remove all the carpet that it had soaked and redo the floors.  Yes, thank you sweet 4 year old for flooding the downstairs...mama has been wanting new floors for awhile now anyway!  In fact my sweet endearing husband actually had the nerve to ask me while we were vacuuming up gallons and gallons of water if I had done this on purpose...yea, I flooded the lower level of our house so I could get new floors!  Sheesh why don't you tell me what you REALLY think of me??  =) ha!

We decided on wood tile flooring.  We love the look of wood but wanted the durability that tile offers.  And the TINY grout lines was a big PLUS for us too!

Well, my husband and his handy dandy friend volunteered for the job and said they would start on Saturday, work starting from 6am on and finish up on Sunday (we don't usually do projects on Sundays because of our faith but since his friend was available this weekend and it would be done we decided to go with it).  Here they are all bright eyed and bushy tailed on Saturday morning...
It's slow going but I am not worried, it looks beautiful so far!

I am starting to get worried when his friend leaves for a 4 hour chunk of time and this is all that is done...

This is late Saturday night with my husband working solo...

Now keep in mind that I have not had a washer & dryer hooked up for 3 days at this point already!!
He knows this, hence the diligent working late into Saturday night.

Fast forward to the NEXT weekend...
keep in mind that they worked Saturday, Sunday until noon when they had to go to work, Monday-Wednesday til noon when they had to go to work.
We are now on to 1 WEEK with no ability to do laundry...where is my water basin and washboard when I need one?  I could have been a pioneer and done it old school style, even hanging to dry on a clothes line!  But oh no...the laundry of 7 people just continued to pile up in every room!

Well ladies & gentleman...9 days later and I got my laundry room put back together after all THIS got scrubbed off...
It is such a MESSY job doing tile!  The mortar is a killer to scrape off and the the grout is so messy and leaves a film...so we ended up using WHITE VINEGAR mixed with WATER to properly clean it all up.  We then shined it up good with METHOD CLEAN & SHINE.  Lovely!

And finally, 2 weeks later the furniture was ready to be moved back on and we were FINALLY ready to have our house back!  Now I need to redecorate and find a nice rug!

So you see...my moral of this story is this...HIRE A PROFESSIONAL TO INSTALL YOUR NEW FLOORING...EVEN WHEN YOUR HUSBAND INSISTS YOU WILL SAVE MONEY DOING IT YOURSELF WITH A "FRIENDS" EXPERTISE TO HELP!!!  Ha! =)


Photobucket

5 comments:

Katrina said...

It looks great though!

C.S.P.B. said...

Thank you Heidi for the validation. I've always said that when it comes to projects like these I'm a Pay-It-Yourselfer. :) Topher

Kami said...

It looks so pretty! Yea, for no more carpet. I'm right behind ya- some day!

Kay Lewis said...

Question. Do you find the room louder now that you don't have carpet? I have been debating wood /carpet/tile for awhile now but I am concerned about echoing. Your new floors look fabulous!!!

Kay Lewis said...

Question. Do you find the room louder now that you don't have carpet? I have been debating wood /carpet/tile for awhile now but I am concerned about echoing. Your new floors look fabulous!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...